Saturday, February 16, 2013

Last Chance Canyon & Burro Schmidt Tunnel

One day trip through Last Chance Canyon and a visit to the Burro Schmidt Tunnel.  Thanks to Nathan for leading the trip. I had never gone to either place so I was eager to make the trip.

We started off meeting at Jawbone Station and soon took off at 10 a.m.  We got to the entrance of the trail and started to air down.


Soon, we were off to the trails.  The canyon was beautiful and the weather was great.

Nathan guiding and teaching the basics of off-road and maneuvering through rocky terrain.

 Everyone who wanted to learn and give it a try got a chance to go.

 We went at a nice slow pace enjoying the scenery.

 We made a lot of stops in the beginning so that we can all practice.

The bulk of the canyon portion was about 1 to 2 miles, I think.

More guidance from Nathan.


The wonderful weather really added to the colorful rock formation.


All the vehicles had no problems with the up hill. I still get nervous going up steep inclines when I can't see where I'm going.


The Schmidt Tunnel. You have to give credit to the guy who single-handedly dug this tunnel.  This thing stretches out about 1/2 a mile!


Taking a break on the other side of the tunnel.

Aired back up and ready to head home.  I didn't get a chance to go out to dinner with the guys because I was so sleepy from the previous nights of sleeping late, but the trip was fun and well worth the drive.

For the rest of the photos, Click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment